Jeff Rossen Reports had some good information on the latest gas explosions and what the home owner should do if they smell gas. I will list them below, but noticed that he omitted what I would consider to be an obvious action to take.
Turn off the outside gas valve. This is something I learned in my CERT training and is fairly easy to do. There is a video below which shows how to do this. I’d recommend getting a LARGE wrench since the valve can be a bit hard to turn.
Here are the actions that are recommended by the show.
- Check the stove to make sure none of the knobs are on.
- Don’t use the light switch or any electric appliances. The spark could ignite the gas.
- Open the window/windows. They only vent one window and leave the door open.
- Don’t start your car. It might cause a spark.
- Get 350 feet away from the house.
- Call 911.