Tsa pre – Notes
My wife and I just signed up for TSA pre and I thought I’d share some notes on the experience.
- You signup online at http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck
- Make sure you do the Pre-Enroll process – it will save you time when you go to Lambert airport. For some reason, I couldn’t do this initially. I made the appointment and then had to go back in do the pre-enroll. My wife however had no problem.
- Also make an appointment – just in case. It turns out that we didn’t need it as there was literally no one there when we arrived.
- In the St. Louis airport, it’s on the main floor close to the metro station – they have good signage.
- The cost is $85 – non-refundable. It’s good for 5 years.
- You will need to use a credit card – no cash or checks accepted.
- You also need to bring a passport or birth certificate.
- The only problem with the whole process is that it was hard for them to get a good scan of my fingerprints. Wash your hands well before you arrive. My wife had the same problem.
- It will take up to 21 days for them to approve you.
- You don’t get a card, only a number.
- When you get your number, go to all the airlines you use and change your profile to include the Known Traveler Number.
NOTE – while I got my number withing three weeks, my wife took two months to get her number because they had trouble getting good finger prints from her.
TIP – make sure your TSA name and your airline information match. If you use a middle name with TSA, make sure that your airline reservations have that middle name also.