Supplements I Take and Why
Note – July 1, 2015, I stopped taking all extra supplements to see what happens.
A friend of mine asked for a list of the vitamins and supplements that I take and why I take them so I thought I’d put together the list online. Here’s the list and I’ll explain below.
- Aspirin – one baby aspirin/ day.
- D3 – during winter
- Fish Oil – Enteric coated – 1200 mg – once a day
- Flax Seed Oil – 1 pill – twice a day
- Magnesium – 1 – 400 mg twice a day
- Grape Seed and Resveratrol – 1 pill
- Postassium – 99 mg – twice a day
Pills I have stopped taking because of lack of evidence or negative evidence- Vit C, Vit E, Calcium – may increase heart risk..
As I have more time I will add more links.
- JAMA – take 75 to 81 mg
- JAMA #2
- A dosage of approximately 75 mg/d seems as effective as higher dosages.
- Low-Dose Aspirin May Lower Cancer Risk
- Medical News Today – colon cancer
- Howard Sesso, ScD, MPH, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and project director of the Physicians’ Health Study II – Web MD
Vitamin D3 – I only take this during the winter since I’m outside gardening at other times.
Flax Seed Oil
Magnesium – note I stopped this on the advice from my doctor.
Glucosamine – there was a study about a year ago that showed that glucosamine doesn’t work. My wife and I stopped taking it and almost immediately her arthritis started up again. We started the pills again and it got better. For us they seem to help, but I would test it out and see for yourself if it might help you. It appears that Glucosamine Sulfate may be the best variety.
- Grape Seed and Resveratrol
- Grape Seed-WebMD
- Resveratrol – apparently one of the researchers lied – I may have to re-evaluate this.
- Dr. Oz
- Dr. Oz also recommended 200 mg/day on his show – seems like a small amount.